Saturday 14 July 2012

No sanjivani found for the real Hanuman. RIP Dara Singh Randhawa :)

I was in the hangover of my birthday (10th july) oblivion to my dad's calls saying that he (Dara Singh) was still not recovering and was on ventilator probably because since the day I opened my eyes, I only saw the he-man in him. But it did happen, my dad called howling from Mumbai saying that he lost his only father figure, we lost Dara Singh.
I sat and kept thinking about all the stories dad used to tell me about him. Recalled what dad always said about him - " its very difficult to excel in whatever you step into and he did. Wrestling, acting and politics."
He was a saint and nothing else. In this huge world, there was absolutely NOBODY who would get up and stop me when I would say he didn't deserve what he got.
For all those wondering why he was put off the ventilator is because it was his wish that after living an independent life, he didnt want to survive like on machines.
Whenever my dad used to tell him that he would go and see him in Mumbai he would just say "oh kaanu kharcha karna inna, tu mainu 2 waar phone kar leya kar. Gal to haal chaal puchan di aa na" : why spend so much money on te tickets, its a matter of knowing about my health. Just call me twice a day for that.

The only reason I writing this post is to shout out my family's cry, because I want to do my dad's swollen eyes justice,to give Vindu veerji's smiling face justice.
So welcome to the "real" Dara Singh's secrets. 

I was born on 10th July 1992 when uncle was in Denmark and he flew all the way from there JUST to see me and took a flight back the same day.

                                          12 of July 1992. Exactly 20 years before his demise 
                        This was the time he was shooting for Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan as Hanuman.


                                   L-R: My mom, uncle and my brother, Aunty (Surjeet Kaur)

Even though he could afford ANY 7 star hotel, he used to live in our 2 bedroom flat whenever he used to visit Delhi. During power cuts the "Rustum-e-hind" used to tell us " Oh mainnu ta kothe te manji daa do, hawa badi soni aa". Translation: "Just put a bed on the terrace, i like the wind".


Used to get up at 4am and do his yoga and sneak in my room very quietly and say "uth ja putt, main chale jana phir" - Get up child, I am leaving after this" .

Papa tells me that once uncle had a conference in Hotel Taj and they had sent 2 mercedes to pick him up from the airport but he insisted in coming my dad's car ( Indica ) and trust me when I say this I have rejected that car to pick or drop me so many times. It was THAT bad.

I was probably 5 or 6 and I was skating on the terrace while papa and uncle were having tea and some pistachios. I would skate to uncle, he would peel some for me and I would eat them all up and skate to another corner. He would again peel a bunch of them and I would just steal them away from his hands. Even after papa told uncle to have some, he would just say " bachi da jee karda ya, ohnu khaan de : She feels like eating them, let her. "

All of us, irrespective of our social status have been to Nirula's and know what Hot Chocolate fudge is. Well, he didn't! I must be 14 when we all went for a dinner and I asked uncle what Ice cream he wanted and he just smiled(notice how this never fades) and said "bachaji oho hi apni tooti frooti" . I gave him the look and said "Tooti frooti?? Hot chacolate fudge khaalo" and he looked at me as if I told him the aliens have arrived. and that day at the age of 78, I made "Sardar Dara Singh ji" have his first HCF.
Uncle I hope you are looking at me from up there and giving the same child like innocent smile. :)

Nobody would have ever guessed that his dressing style was a suggestion by my dad. His nehru jackets and shoes were handpicked by my dad. And he would just tell papa "aa kamm saukha ya, khulla dulla"

I stand very proud here for being able to achieve what all I have in my life yet. Most of it being my education but nobody knows who led this journey of mine. Who held my hand to my first day of Kinder garden and Nursery. It was him!
For my admissions, he used to fly from Mumbai to Delhi like it was nothing leaving all his work behind.

One of my friend said "That I can proudly tell my kids that I was from the Dara Singh era" and it just made me realize how taken for granted we took this man.
But in the end, he's just gone! I will never see his blooming smile, his strong voice and would hug his strong shoulders. He was the grandfather I never had.
I have never met either of my grandfather's but I am sure if they were alive they would have been just like him.

In the end, all I want to say is that there would never be another Dara Singh. This is an end of a legend and the end of an era and I walk with my head held high and I shall not mourn because I belong to THE Dara Singh's family and I have experienced what others strive for - his presence and his blessings.
Rest in peace uncle because you belong no where else but heaven!
And now that I cant type more cos there tears just don't stop, if your'e listening uncle - Jaddo ho jawwe na, ta chup chap wapas murh aayo :(


                                


                                 Rustum-e-hind Sardar Dara Singh Randhawa 
                                                          1928 - 2012

No comments: